Halloween Fire Safety Tips
Keep your Halloween season spooky and fun!
Unfortunately, symbols of Halloween and activities while fun can also present fire risks that have the potential to become truly scary. Halloween decorations are the first thing to ignite in over 1,000 reported home fires each year. Whether you are trick or treating, throwing a party, or staying inside, decorations can be a lurking fire risk and it is important to be aware. Planning ahead, you can help make this Halloween a fire-safe one. Taking simple fire safety precautions like keeping decorations far away from open flames and using battery-operated candles or glow-sticks in jack-o-lanterns can help ensure your holiday remains festive and fun. From the National Fire Protection Association, here are five Halloween fire safety tips:
- Use a battery-operated candle or glow stick in jack-o-lanterns.
- When choosing costumes, stay away from the long trailing fabric.
- Teach young children to stay away from open flames, including jack-o-lanterns with candles in them.
- Keep all decorations away from open flames, especially cornstalks, dried flowers, and crepe paper.
- Provide young children with glow sticks or flashlights to carry with their costumes.
- Remember to keep all exits clear of decorations so escape routes are not blocked. Also, make sure all smoke alarms are working properly.
Everyone here at SERVPRO of Birmingham wants to ensure your Halloween is safe and fun! Follow these steps to enjoy your Halloween season. In the case of an emergency, know that the team at SERVPRO of Birmingham is going to work around the clock to help keep your Halloween season a good one! Give our team a call at 205.252.8110