How Commercial Cleaning Benefits Your Business
Commercial properties must be regularly cleaned to maximize their function and appearance. Commercial cleaning services range from general cleaning to more specialized services such as mold removal, fire and water cleanup, and air duct cleaning. Below is a more detailed description of the services SERVPRO of Birmingham offers:
- Water Damage Restoration - Water damage could be the result of a flood, water from a sink that has leaked, a pipe that has burst, or a faulty air conditioner.
- Mold Remediation - Buildings, offices, and homes can sustain microbial growth of mold if excess water and humidity are left untreated. Mold can spread and cause health effects.
- Fire Damage Restoration - Fire damage carries with it the trauma of fire destruction, debris, air quality concerns, and potential health risks to those exposed. Water damage is often a secondary issue when there has been a fire. Fire damage services may include removal of debris, cleaning the fire-damaged areas of an office or home, purifying and making the air fresh and safe to breathe, and remediating any water damage.
- Reconstruction - In the event of a fire, water, or storm damage, the immediate concern is to protect the building, home, or office from further damage and to secure the structure for restoration to occur. Services include but are not limited to drywall, electrical, painting, roofing, tile, and carpet repair.
How Commercial Cleaning Services Benefit Your Business?To operate at peak productivity, businesses need to provide a clean environment for their team and clientele. Specialty cleaning services include air ducts and HVAC, biohazard and sewage, carpet and upholstery, drapes and blinds, ceilings, walls and hardwood floors, odor removal, and deodorization, and vandalism clean-up. Why Hire a Professional Commercial Cleaning Company?The number one reason to hire a cleaning service is that they are professionals who are trained in the latest technology in the cleaning industry. The right cleaning products are necessary to achieve the proper level and appearance of cleanliness. One reason to hire a professional cleaning company is health and safety. Your staff or clients won’t get sick as a result of an unhealthy work environment. It is important to have immediate service any hour or day of the week, especially during an emergency. Trust the team from SERVPRO of Birmingham to ensure your cleaning needs are met and your business or commercial property is ready to handle the demand of the day-to-day operations. Give our team a call today!
When Was Your Last HVAC Cleaning?
During this winter season are you thinking about the air quality in your business or commercial property? Air ducts and a lack of HVAC cleaning can be to blame for this. In fact, a non-maintained ventilation system is usually the culprit behind getting good, quality air circulation in any building. This is why you should make it a priority to get your air duct systems maintenance by professionals at SERVPRO of Birmingham. Take a moment and think about how long have I had this system in place? Have I ever taken the time to have the system cleaned? Do I know what is hanging on to the vents in that system? You always want to take time to be mindful of your HVAC systems. Our professionals can evaluate air quality and the system to see if it’s time for service. If your system has been around for a long time and you have not conducted a thorough HVAC cleaning, there is a chance that your air ducts have begun to accumulate a lot of the following:
These particles can cause allergies and illness for everyone who breathes the air. Having your HVAC cleaned at your business or commercial property can help clear out your air ducts to help circulate better air quality, and bring your employees better peace of mind. Remember that proper maintenance of your air ducts and having regular HVAC cleaning can extend the life of your system and most importantly, save your business money from costly repairs.
Choosing a Disaster Restoration Company
Our team works tirelessly to help ensure your home or commercial property is mitigated and restored.
The last thing anyone wants to deal with is a disaster to their home or property. That is a personal home property and a commercial business, there can be a handful of insurance policies and the well-being of those closest to you. SERVPRO of Birmingham understands it can create unwanted stress when it comes to choosing a restoration company. In an effort to help offset that stress you can feel, here are a few things to be on the lookout when choosing a company to restore your home or office after a disaster:
- Trained and Certified by the IICRC
- The IICRC (Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration Company) sets the standard in the disaster restoration industry. Choosing a company that has been trained and certified by the IICRC ensures you are working with professionals who truly know what they’re doing. SERVPRO of Birmingham has consistently gone through training and certification by the IICRC.
- Response Time
- Disasters rarely happen on the clock. This means you need a restoration company that is always available to help whether it is on a weekend, holiday, or even during pandemic shutdowns. It’s important to choose a company that is always open. SERVPRO not only remained open during the shutdown, but we also assisted other essential businesses in keeping their doors open and employees safe by providing proactive disinfection services. We pride ourselves in not only always being open but also being faster to any size disaster.
- Major storm events can place a huge strain on restoration companies as they try to help their communities put the pieces of “normal life” back together. If the company isn’t adequately scaled to deal with the needs of their customers, this could result in job delays and cause even more damage than the storm itself. When that happens, instead of trusting out-of-town storm chasers who are here today and gone tomorrow, it’s critical to be able to count on your local disaster restoration company to answer your call among the dozens or hundreds of others that come in as a result of these storms. Thankfully, SERVPRO of Birmingham is not only capable of dealing with the needs of our customers in the territories we serve, but at our disposal are 1700+ franchises that are able to work together to serve our customers following large-scale disasters.
The aftermath of these events, though shocking, does not have to be stressful. Whether its water, fire, or storm damage, the result of these disasters require the attention of a professional and trustworthy disaster restoration company, a company such as SERVPRO of Birmingham
Choosing a Local Restoration Companies
Many people may not realize that a small grease fire can cause unsightly soot stains on their wall, or something like an electrical socket that might have a short in it can count as a home fire. So, what should you do if your home suffers fire damage? Getting help as soon as possible is the best way to help reduce long-term expenses. SERVPRO of Birmingham can send a team of our talented fire and smoke damage remediation technicians to your property as soon as you call.
What Can SERVPRO of Birmingham Do About a Small Kitchen Fire? Did you know that many people might not consider smaller-scale fires as an event they may need help remediating? Just because you experience a small-scare fire does not leave your home in need of reconstruction does not mean that it will not leave unsightly after-effects. Take a few situations that maybe you have experienced as examples:
- Grease fires can leave greasy soot on your walls
- Burning plastics can leave lingering malodors
- Ashes can get stuck in your carpets or rug
What Can SERVPRO of Birmingham Do to Remediate These Damages? Our team is fire damage experts. This means our teams have been trained and certified to help restore fire damage. All our team members are IICRC certified to handle remediation. The IICRC sets the standard in the restoration industry. Choosing a company that has been trained and certified by the IICRC ensures you are working with professionals who truly know what they’re doing. To remediate, our team can:
Here at SERVPRO of Birmingham, we have access to advanced technology designed to remediate the damages inside of your home. Trust us our team to help get your life back to normal.
- Use house-made cleaning agents designed to break down grime
- Set up odor-reducing equipment, such as hydroxyl generators and thermal foggers
- Professionally clean your carpets and upholstery to take the smokey smell and ashes away
Preventing Pipes From Freezing
Lower Temps Mean Busted Pipes
The Birmingham, AL surrounding areas, are seeing some cooler than normal temps and when this happens, if you are not prepared, you could find yourself in an emergency water damage.
Below a few steps, you can take to help decrease your chances of dealing with pipe bursts as a result of the cold weather:
- Leave the Heat On - This may seem self-explanatory, but if you’re away overnight or gone for long periods of time, setting your indoor temperature no lower than 55°F helps ensure your pipes aren’t as exposed to the cold.
- Insulate Pipes - Though you should always ensure your attic and crawl space are properly insulated year-round, a makeshift quick, and inexpensive way to insulate your pipes would be to wrap pipes in heat take or heat cables with thermostat control. This will work in a pinch, but we recommend properly insulating these high-risk areas.
- Seal Cracks and Opening - To prevent drafts, seal or caulk cracks and openings around windows, doors, dryer vents, water pipes. and sill plates.
- Open Cabinets - Opening cabinets in the kitchen and bathroom allow for warmer air to circulate around the pipes and plumbing. Just make sure to move any cleaners or household chemicals away from the reach of children.
- Keep Garage Doors Closed - Protect your home from being exposed to colder temperatures and shield any water supply lines that may be in the garage by closing the garage door.
- Keep Interior Doors Open - For the same purpose of allowing warmer air to circulate around pipes and plumbing, keeping interior doors open helps to spread the warmth.
- Let Faucets Drip - Letting cold water drip from a faucet helps to keep water flowing throughout the pipes. As the water flows, even if it’s just a trickle, it helps to prevent pipes from freezing.
If you do find yourself in a water issue due to busted frozen pipes, make sure to call SERVPRO of Birmingham, our water damage professionals are trained and certified to handle any disaster you find yourself in during these colder months.
Preventing Spring Storms Water Damage
Spring season is coming!As we prepare to enter into the spring season, it’s important to note what we should be looking for to help minimize the chances of water damage affecting our homes. We when see the transition of seasons to such as spring and fall bring unpredictable weather patterns and this year will be no different. Springtime in the Birmingham area is known for storms and lightning shows. These storms often cause wind and water damage. While we can’t control the weather, we can do our best to ensure our homes are properly prepared for whatever happens. Here are a few things to inspect before the storms hit:
These are only a few things to keep in mind to prepare for the spring storms coming our way. If water damage does occur as a result of storms, call SERVPRO of Birmingham to assist with the restoration and prevent secondary water damage such as mold growth.
- Basement pumps- A working sump pump is crucial for helping to prevent water accumulation in your basement. Consider installing one with an alarm that warns when there is any water accumulation so you can attend to it quickly and prevent secondary water damage.
- Debris removal- Make sure to clear debris from your gutters, downspouts, and window wells. This allows water to flow away from your home freely instead of flowing back in because of debris buildup.
- Landscaping- This is an important and often overlooked step. Protruding branches and rotten trees often cause the most damage to homes and structures once strong winds and rain take place. The best way to prevent this is by trimming branches and clearing away trees that are too close to your home.
Remodeling Your Basement to Be Waterproof
Have you considered remodeling your home?During the quarantine months, there was a major uptick in DIY home projects and renovations being made throughout the country. If you’re looking to change things up a bit, finishing your basement is one of the most common areas to start. A finished basement is a great place for older children to have their privacy, it can serve as space for a home office, and in some cases, it can even be used as a rented out space to bring in some extra income. However, one of the most common occurrences the crews at SERVPRO of Birmingham see is water damage resulting from finished basements that were not, in fact, finished. A key factor the homeowner missed is making sure their basement was properly waterproofed. Not only does this prevent your basement from flooding and potentially saving you thousands of dollars in the event of a storm or flood by reducing damage, but it also creates a healthier environment in your home and lowers heating and cooling costs. It also goes a long way in protecting your sump pump and preventing structural damage. As we enter into the volatile spring season, we can expect to see more rainwater getting into the basement as a result of storms. If not addressed quickly, water damage of this kind can lead to mold problems and potentially ruin furniture, not to mention, undoing the hard work that came with remodeling your space. The best way to keep your finished basement actually finished is by waterproofing and preventing it in the first place. If you find yourself ankle-deep in water in your basement, you can always call SERVPRO of Birmingham for all your water damage restoration needs. (205) 252-8110
How Extreme Cold Can Effect Your Business
This year we've seen colder than normal temps in our area and while we might enjoy a break from the heat, you always want to be prepared for those days of extreme cold temperatures. Did you know that your place of business can become damaged due to winter weather and extreme cold, your personal health & the health of your customers are also at risk. Based on a report done by the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency), they estimated that in recent years, U.S. death rates in winter months have been 8 to 12 percent higher than in non-winter months. Much of this increase relates to seasonal changes in behavior and the human body, as well as increased exposure to respiratory diseases. Cold temperatures can also worsen pre-existing medical conditions such as cardiovascular and respiratory diseases. For example, death rates from heart attacks increase as temperatures drop, likely due to the way cold affects blood circulation, blood vessels, and other factors With information like this, you must be aware of what could happen in your business should water damage or fire damage cut off your heat source. The two main conditions to be aware of are frostbite and hypothermia. Frostbite is caused when your skin is exposed to extremely cold temperatures. Physical symptoms are white or grayish-yellow skin, skin that feels unusually firm, or waxy numbness. Hypothermia is when your body temperature falls to an abnormally low temperature, caused by long exposure to cold weather. Signs of hypothermia include shivering, exhaustion, confusion, fumbling hands, memory loss, slurred speech, and drowsiness. If someone’s body temperature is below 95°F, seek medical attention immediately. We understand that a loss of heat from an emergency can affect your business. If you experience an emergency, know our team is ready to help you get your business back up and running.
Frozen Pipes in Your Commercial Business
Frozen pipes in your business can be a big mess. When pipes freeze, they expand and may burst, leading to major water repairs. While our team will always be there to help mitigate these emergencies when they occur, we want to do what we can to provide information to you that can potentially help keep your business out of these situations.
Tips to prevent frozen pipes:
- Water conservationists’ frown on allowing faucets to drip, but letting even a small amount of water to flow through pipes at all times can do a lot to prevent pipes from freezing. A steady drip is all that is needed to keep the pipes free from ice accumulation.
- Many pipes do not have proper insulation to prevent them from freezing in cold weather. Pipe sleeves and heating tape can be applied to insulate the pipes. It is also a good precautionary measure to caulk around gaps where cold drafts can affect pipe temperatures.
- Shut off any outside water sources that you don't need, especially if you are expecting particularly low temperatures. When a building is left unattended, make sure the thermostat is set no lower than 55 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Open cabinet doors under sinks and in storage areas to allow heat from the room to circulate uninsulated pipes.
Dealing with frozen pipes:
- Hairdryer – This is one of the safest and most effective ways to thaw a pipe. Open the faucet and then heat the pipe by working back toward the area where the blockage has occurred.
- Space heater – A small heater can work much faster than a hairdryer. Simply direct the heater toward the frozen area of the pipe.
Make sure you and your employees know where the shut off valve is located. If you are dealing with frozen pipes or water damage from frozen pipes in your commercial building call SERVPRO of Birmingham as soon as possible.
Holiday Fire Facts
Fire at this home caused by an overheated extension cord
The holidays are one of the most wonderful times of the year! Are we right?! There is nothing better than putting up those Holiday lights and having the home feel warm and cozy. Not to be forgotten the rides at night to see all the homes dressed up with holiday lights! No matter what type of decorations we hang up during the holidays, we’re surrounded by electricity! If we aren’t careful, it can be a huge hazard if not used or maintained properly. According to the National Fire Protection Association (www.nfpa.org), Holiday fires caused an average of three deaths, 15 injuries, and $10 million in direct property damage annually. On average, one of every 52 reported home fires that began with a Christmas tree resulted in a death, compared to an average of one death per 135 total reported home fires. SERVPRO of Birmingham what to help keep you safe during this Holiday season, with the help of the NPFA, we’ve pulled together some safety tips for you to keep in mind! Electrical Fire Safety Tips
- Make sure that there are smoke detectors installed on every floor of the building, inside each room and right outside of every sleeping area to ensure that the alarms can be heard even when sleeping.
- Test smoke detectors monthly to make sure that they’re working properly and have working batteries.
- Have your electrical system inspected by a certified professional to make sure that all of the electrical work meets the National Electric Code safety standards.
- Look and listen for signs of electrical problems such as, flickering or dim lights, buzzing or sizzling sounds from electrical outlets, or insulation and circuit breakers that trip repeatedly. If any of these or any other electrical problems are found, contact a professional as soon as possible for the issue to be inspected.
- Avoid overloading outlets with too many electronics. Consider having more outlets or circuits installed by a professional.
- In homes with children, install tamper-resistant devices to keep children from getting electrical shocks or burns.
- Create an evacuation plan that can be used in the event of a fire.
Our team understands that there is nothing worse than being out of the home for the holidays. We know this time of year is filled with traditions and creating memories. Make sure to follow all the tips we’ve complied together but also if an emergency occurs inside your home or business, know that SERVPRO of Birmingham is ready to help you get back to your holiday traditions!