Turkey Fryer Tips & Tricks
Alabaster Fire Department puts of a fryer fire caused by a frozen turkey
Thanksgiving is right around the corner and there is nothing better than a deep-fried turkey during the holidays! Unfortunately, that also means a rise in house fires. It is estimated that 1000 house fires that occur during the holidays are related to turkey fryers. Our friends at the Alabaster Fire Department shared a few things to be mindful of when you are preparing your Thanksgiving meal to keep yourself from having a house fire:
- Keep outdoor deep-fryers off decks, out of garages, and a safe distance from trees and buildings.
- Make sure the turkey is thawed and dry before cooking
- Place the fryer on a level surface
- Follow the manufacture instructions
- Never leave the fryer unattended.
- Turn the burner off before lowering the turkey into the oil. Once the turkey is submerged, turn the burner on.
- Keep children and pets away from the fryer at all times.
- Once finished, remove the pot from the burner; place it on a level surface and cover to let the oil cool overnight before disposing of.
The Alabaster Fire Department also helped demonstrate what could happen during a turkey fryer fire if you aren’t careful in this Turkey Fryer Tips & Tricks video! SERVPRO of Birmingham wishes everyone a safe and happy Thanksgiving Holiday. In the unfortunate event of fire or smoke damage, we are available 24/7. Call us Birmingham, 205.252.8110
Commercial Water Damage
When a commercial business experiences water damage it not only slows production time but can damage the goods used to operate
Downtime means money lost!
Here are SERVPRO of Birmingham, we understand that when a commercial water emergency occurs in your business it is important that the issues is mitigated quickly and efficiently. During these emergencies, it is not just the building that needs to be back up and functioning but the materials and equipment you use on a daily basis that allows your business to be successful.
SERVPRO of Birmingham has the ability to save things like office furniture, desk, and even sensitive information that may be stored in the office with our Document Restoration. We are in the business of restoring these items that may have been damaged during your water emergency. We always attempt to salvage anything damaged because we understand that it can keep the cost down for you and the insurance company as well the value it has to your company. If an item can be saved or restored it is worth the time to do so.
SERVPRO of Birmingham works tirelessly to treat each of your items with special care to protect. Our team is trained to keep your items from damage while we do work. Our content specialists team does wonders with your clean-up on all types of materials.
Trust that SERVPRO of Birmingham keeps in mind that time down for your business, is money lost. So our team will work around the clock to make sure it is “Like it never even happened.” and your business is back up and running!
Facts about Smoke and Soot Damange
Smoke and Soot Damage can cause a long-lasting odor in your home
Smoke and soot can cause hidden damage and odor. Our Production Techs are experts when it comes to smoke damage who can accurately assess the extent of the damage to develop a plan of action. Facts about Smoke and Soot
- Hot smoke migrates to cooler areas and upper levels of a structure.
- Smoke flows around plumbing systems, seeping through the holes used by pipes to go from floor to floor.
- The type of smoke may greatly affect the restoration process.
Different Types of Smoke Did you know there are actually different types of smoke? There is what is called wet smoke and dry smoke! Check out the two types below in more detail. Wet Smoke // Plastic and Rubber
- Low heat, smoldering, pungent odor, sticky, smeary. Smoke webs are more difficult to clean.
Dry Smoke // Paper and Wood
- Fast burning, high temperatures, heat rises, therefore, smoke rises.
Protein Fire Residue // Produced by evaporation of material rather than from a fire
- Virtually invisible, discolors paints and varnishes, extreme pungent odor.
Storm Damage Types
High winds from a storm can be the reason your roof has damage
Not all Storm Damage is Created Equal!
During storm season in Birmingham, AL we see a wide range of storm types. We see heavy rains, flooding, tornadoes and then wrapping all of those into one hurricane! Any one of these storm types could easily cause damage to your home or business. These damages can keep us from feeling like our home is complete or keeping us from running a business that contributes to our livelihood. No matter what your scenario, It is important to know the different damages that a storm can cause. Wind Damage Storm damage sometimes includes severe wind damage. Roof damage in this situation may range from a missing roof due to strong winds that may loosen flashing. This can cause your roof shingles to be removed from your home or business causing leaks. Even a subtle roof leak can produce damp, moldy conditions. A SERVPRO of Birmingham restoration expert can help property owners address storm damage and roof damage more effectively. Flooding Damage Heavy rains in the Birmingham, AL area can cause river flooding all around the Jefferson and Shelby County areas. Flooding may disrupt municipal water systems which call for experts to assess groundwater and evaluate the condition of pipes following flood damage. Our SERVPRO of Birmingham team can assist in your cleanup process after flood damage has occurred. Lighting Damage When a storm occurs, many times it brings the loud sounds of thunder which mean lighting is striking. Your home or business may have objects attached to the building that can attract a lightning strike that can cause a fire. A bolt of lightning can reach temperatures of roughly 30,000 kelvins (53,540 degrees Fahrenheit). Lightning strikes, or discharges of massive charges of static electricity, cause about 2% of all fires. If this occurs in your home or business, SERVPRO of Birmingham has the team to help handle the restoration of both the fire and smoke damage.
Be Ready for a Hurricane
Are You "Hurricane Ready"?
This time of year can always be scary for anyone who lives in the possible path of hurricanes or may have friends and family who do live in a consistent path. Hurricanes are massive storm systems that form over ocean water and often move toward land. Hurricanes include high winds, heavy rainfall, storm surge, coastal and inland flooding, rip currents and tornadoes all of which can destroy homes, buildings, and roads. It is important to stay ready so you do not find yourself scrambling to brace for the impact. There is always the potential looming that our area could be hit by a hurricane. Living in the Birmingham, AL area, it can be easy to think you don’t need to worry about the potential of a hurricane. Here are a few things to know ahead of a hurricane if one was to head our direction.
Know the Difference
- Flood/Flash Flood Watch—Flooding or flash flooding is possible in your area.
- Flood/Flash Flood Warning—Flooding or flash flooding is already occurring or will occur soon in your area.
How to Prepare
- Listen to area radio and television stations and a NOAA Weather Radio for possible flood warnings and reports of flooding in progress or other critical information from the National Weather Service (NWS).
- Be prepared to evacuate at a moment’s notice.
- When a flood or flash flood warning is issued for your area, head for higher ground and stay there.
- Because standard homeowners insurance doesn’t cover flooding, it’s important to have protection from the floods associated with hurricanes, tropical storms, heavy rains and other conditions that impact the U.S. For more information on flood insurance, please visit the National Flood Insurance Program Web site at www.FloodSmart.gov.
Always Know the RisksTo find your risk, visit FEMA’s “Know Your Risk Map.” Be better prepared for this hurricane season, and learn more at www.ready.gov/prepare
This home in Birmingham, AL found mold growth in their garage
Mold can be in your home and not even realize it. Whether you see the affected areas or not, here are a few things you can do! First, if you see visible mold, do not mess with it. When mold is disturbed, it can release microscopic mold spores. When this happens mold can circulate inside your home using your HVAC system and any fans you have on. This makes it so the affected areas grow and become larger. Check out what to do and not do.
What Should You Do:
- Stay out of affected areas.
- Turn off the HVAC system and ALL fans.
- Contact SERVPRO® of Birmingham for mold remediation services.
What Should You Not Do:
- Don’t touch or disturb the mold.
- Don’t blow air across any surfaces with visible or suspected mold growth.
- Don’t attempt to dry the area yourself.
- Don’t spray bleach or other disinfectants on the mold
SERVPRO® of Birmingham specializes in mold remediation. We use specialized equipment and techniques to properly clean and resolve your mold problem quickly and safely. The safety and health of you and your family are our biggest concern. If you have mold in your home or business, give SERVPRO® of Birmingham a call at 205.252.8110
Always Be Looking for Water Damage
Water rings in your ceiling or walls is a sign of water damage
Water damage can be very detrimental to your home or businessThe problem is the longer you wait after having water damage the more damage you are actually causing to your home or business. When you have water damage the best thing to do is shut off the water source that is causing the damage. If the damage is coming from something you are unable to cut off them you may need to contact a plumber in your area. Once this is completed then you want to call the professional experts here at SERVPRO® Birmingham to come out and assess the problem. It doesn’t matter the size of the damage we will be able to help get it under control.Water damage can be difficult to spot but some signs you can look for in your home and business:
The best thing to do is call an expert right away before the problem gets worse. Our highly trained technicians are waiting for your call. We have our specialized equipment ready to use to get to your emergency mitigated as soon as possible. Don’t wait until the problem gets worse, call our highly trained team at SERVPRO® of Birmingham at 205.252.8110
- Water rings on your ceiling or walls
- Soft or sagging on your ceiling or walls
- Wet or soggy carpets
- Warping in your wood flooring
HVAC Condensation Can Cause Water Damage
A broken condensation pipe causes water damage in the home
High temps mean more condensation from your HVAC
When your HVAC creates condensation, that water needs somewhere to go and those lines can become clogged quickly. This can cause your emergency line to either break or your drop pan to overfill and that water needs somewhere to go!So what should you do if this happens causing water damage?
- Call an HVAC company to service your unit. This is probably the easiest and most efficient method, but unfortunately the most expensive.
- Check to make sure your primary condensation line, usually located near the ground outside the home in an area of high foot traffic, is slowly dripping water when your HVAC is on.
- If your primary line is not dripping check the secondary line, usually located somewhere like above a window or door as to be more noticeable when dripping.
- If the primary, or both lines, are not dripping while the unit is on, find a way to flush out or remove the potential blockage. The cleanout will usually be located close to the HVAC main unit. Make sure you thoroughly research how to properly clear your lines before attempting to!
- Check your HVAC unit drip pan, make sure it has no holes or rust around it. If it is damaged you may need to have it replaced.
SERVPRO® Birmingham will come out and perform a free moisture inspection on your Birmingham residence or commercial property if you believe you may have had a potential accident. We get an estimate to you or begin communication with your insurance. If you HVAC leaking, call SERVPRO® of Birmingham at 205.252.8110
4th of July Safety Tips
4th of July in Birmingham, AL is always one of the cities favorite times. From the fireworks booming over Vulcan all the way down to the entire City of Alabaster, AL celebrating in parking lots and pools as the night sky is lit up. Gathering with family and friends gather around for food, festivities, and fun. It can be easy to just get lost in all the fun going on but this can be one of the most dangerous times of the year with things such as fireworks, sparklers, bonfires, and BBQ's becoming possible fire damage.
SERVPRO of Birmingham has some reminders and safety tips to ensure this 4th is the best and safest it can be!
If you are choosing to build a bonfire this weekend make sure that you are using only dry material and make sure that all debris is at least 10 feet away. When you are finished ensure that you extinguish the fire, pour water on all embers until the hissing sounds stop. Always keep a fire extinguisher close by when having bonfires or grills going so you can keep any fire damage from spreading in the case of an emergency. While most kids love playing with fireworks, it is important to never toss or throw the fireworks at anyone. If dealing with fireworks, please consider the following safety tips and suggestions.
- Wear protective eye and hand gear
- Never carry fireworks in your pockets
- Always have a bucket of water nearby
- Keep unused fireworks in a closed box
- Make sure all spectators are 25 to 40 feet away
If you do have fire damage know that SERVPRO of Birmingham is a call and ready throughout the entire Holiday weekend! We have the equipment, expertise, and experience to restore your fire and/or smoke damage. We will ensure the highest care to get you back to celebrating the Freedom we have so graciously been given.
We are SERVPRO of Birmingham hope these tips will help you have a fun and safe holiday! Have Questions about Fire, Smoke, or Soot Damage? Call Us, Birmingham at 205.252.8110
Have you Checked on your Toilet Lately?
An unchecked toilet can go from good to bad quickly
Many times the toilet in your home can be the last thing you think about causing water damage. As they age, however, the components that allow it to function properly can jam or malfunction, causing several potential problems. While some of these might be a drawn-out refilling process that can affect your monthly water bill, more severe consequences might include overflowing of the reservoir when the float mechanism does not engage.
Overflowing reservoirs might not affect your Birmingham home but it does often require professional water removal and recovery. Even with noticing the problem shortly after it begins, an instance like this can quickly cover the bathroom floor and affect cabinetry and the vanity as well. Our SERVPRO® professionals can understand the importance of reacting quickly to this situation.
The tile or laminate flooring likely installed in your bathroom can resist penetration from the pooling water, but saturation can still occur with these materials if the problem does not get addressed quickly enough. While each plank or tile itself works to resist absorbing the moisture, seams and grout joints are more penetrable. To protect your flooring from extensive damage, extraction must begin shortly after the situation gets discovered.
Our SERVPRO® of Birmingham professionals can arrive with high-powered extraction equipment for severe damages like our gas-powered units. For smaller pools, we can also bring in our portable sump pumps and extraction wands. Once the excess has gotten removed from the flooring, we can set up our advanced drying equipment to protect and preserve exposed cabinetry, fixtures, and flooring. We can double check our drying efforts with our thermal imagery cameras to detect lingering moisture pockets that require added attention.
As traumatic as an overflowing reservoir might seem, the right professional assistance can make this water damage “Like it never even happened.”
Give SERVPRO® of Birmingham a call anytime disaster strikes at 205.525.8110